Monday, June 27, 2011

2 weeks later...

So, I've watched a few movies...

Itty Bitty Titty Committee (2007) - This movie was a bit of fun. A lesbian joins the ranks of a group of anarchist feminists. It's the story of a fish out of water, or someone searching for her identity who is soon overwhelmed and wants to be part of a certain group. The group dynamics were odd, not always happy people, not accepting of newcomers, which seems a little atypical for their goals. It seems unlikely that the main female character could go from one extreme to another, but I suppose they are trying to impose that joining this group gave her strength and helped her find her voice, but it was a bit of a stretch, character-wise. I don't really like the dynamic in movies of person A trying to get involved with person B who is already involved albeit somewhat unhappily with person C but can't seem to leave. It bothers me that person A thinks Person B has the fortitude to not cheat on them when it is clear they are cheating on person C. Le sigh. But I suppose that means its realistic, and that's just something I don't care for in humanity/society in general. But anyway, it was a fun movie, feministically speaking. Of course, some of their methods were radical, but it paid off in the end, although it wasn't quite explained/clear what happened. Anyway, I liked the movie. There is some soft-core lesbianism in there, however that sways you ;) For some people I would think the feminist realm is actual more of a put-off than lesbianism, but those people aren't quite in touch with reality anyway, right? :P

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead (2009) - If you like cheesy, campy horror films, this one is for you, especially if you follow the Hamlet storyline. Since I once played the fair Ophelia, and can't handle really scary movies, I thought this was a fun romp in the graveyard. Basically think Shakespeare and vampires and making fun of theatre people poking fun at themselves. Not a groundbreaking movie, but fun to watch.

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) - Oh, Woody Allen, your whiny Brooklonian voice is unmistakable... and by voice, I do mean both his vocalizations AND his 'voice' as a filmmaker... very angsty and nervous, letting emotions getting the best of him and his characters. If you hate Woody, there's no way you're watching this. If you are borderline, I would probably say this film is bearable. Maybe. The characters have flaws and they are very noticable, but that seems to be his style. I could actually kind of relate with some of the interplay between the sisters, the underlying issues that happen to be there, that make up the dynamics of the relationship. It's kind of a heavy film, so keep that in mind. There are some funny situations in there. The flashbacks are quite long but are related to the story, so it's permissable. The DVD I had was skipping near the end, but because I use subtitles, I was mostly on track with what was said.

St. Trinian's (2007) - While just looking this up on IMDB, I saw there is a sequel!!! Hooray!! This movie was a lot of campy kitsch and I had a blast! The characters were so wild and out there. AND Rupert Everett played a pair of siblings... a brother and sister! I love him and I love drag, so I was sold when I read the DVD cover at the library. Yes, finding this at the public library threw me for a loop! This movie was tons of fun and I even wasn't so put off by Russell Brand as I usually am! ;) This really was an ensemble cast, apparently based off of a cartoon series. I love the movies that are bizarre-o comedies and this one is a new cult fave of mine! :) Highly recommendable for anyone who likes the goofy, larger-than-reality films!

Ernest Goes to Camp (1987) - Yes, I braved the Target employee who told me I "have issues" and I bought a 3 pack of Ernest movies and enjoyed it. It's a great kids movie with the lovable Jim Varney at the healm, God rest his soul. It's escapism and you just have to sit back and enjoy the slapstick situations as the campers battle each other and the bad guys and learn to appreciate the friend they have in poor Ernest. There's an absolutely beautiful song perfomed by Varney near the end of the movie. Searching on youtube, I was awakened to a few other recordings he did, which opened my eyes to the beauty of his soul. Because I love you, here is Gee, I'm Glad It's Raining as performed by Jim Varney.

Muppets from Space (1999) - Muppet movies are almost a surefire win in my book. There are some that I like more than others, and of my collection, this is one of them. I love love LOVE the opening scene which shows all the Muppets living in a co-op! I want to BE one of them, living there! Looks like a blast!!! I like the comedy in the films and the guest cameos are always fun. And yes, I'm super-excited for the upcoming Muppet movie!! You can basically count on the Muppets to give you some good clean jokes. In this movie, look for Jeffrey Tambor Rob Schneider Ray Liotta David Arquette Andie MacDowell Kathy Griffin Pat Hingle Hulk Hogan Katie Holmes Joshua Jackson

My Own Private Idaho (1991) - Risking getting my LGBTA Ally card revoked, I'm gonna come right out and say it... I hated it. It was painful to watch and I was restless. It wasn't consistent except for the suckiness of it. I realize, it's supposed to be some iconic film and was probably pretty groundbreaking 20 years ago, but the attempts at making it Shakespearian failed because that wasn't held up the whole way through. It was a little better when it was just two actors together, but when it was any more than that, it was dull and painful. There were some elements in that were interesting, but the whole package was eck. Save yourself. Don't bother. Or do it once to rip off the bandaid and say you've seen it. :(

Vibes (1988) - Best Hulu find in a long time!!!! Cyndi Lauper, Jeff Goldblum and the recently dearly departed Peter Falk in a movie?!?!! LOVED IT!!! All of the comments on the Hulu page were raving about the movie and someone compared it to the slapstick, romantic comedies of yesteryear, and I'd agree that comparison is spot-on. This movie was tons of fun and had some great dialogue! I was going to include some here, but I don't want to spoil the fun for you! You have to watch this movie. Hulu says it exires in 3 days!!! NOOOOO! Vibes on hulu   Vibes on Crackle 

So you can tell exactly which movie I think you should watch (immediately) on this list. Vibes and St. Trinian's are my highest recommendations for this batch. :)  Happy viewing! :)