Monday, December 02, 2013

Noche de Reyes (2001); Free Birds (2013); Nebraska (2013); Star Trek Into Darkness (2013); Cowboys & Aliens (2011); Comic Book Villains (2002)

Noche de Reyes (2001)

or "Twelfth Night"

Director:

Stars:
, , | » 

Directed by Javier Bardem's cousin, this Spanish flick is one of those 'up-the-ante' comedies with zany characters and situations that keep getting out of hand... but everything works out okay in the end. I found it in a discount bin at Goodwill (along with another Spanish-language Christmas movie). If you know any Spanish at all, you will be able to tell the titles do not translate into each other. If you like zany comedies and are okay with reading subtitles, this is a fun romp to spice up your holiday movie routine. :) P.S. Sorry the trailer doesn't have subtitles!)
_________________________________

 Free Birds (2013)

Director:

Writers:
(screenplay), (screenplay), 2 more credits »
Stars:
, , |  

Fun trivia... Writer Scott Mosier is the same friend of Kevin Smith of Clerks, Dogma etc. I only recognized that because I just finished Smith's book/audiobook. Anywho, my major gripe about this film is mainly "too bad the turkeys didn't warn the Indians". Sadness. But as far as the film goes, it was okay. Actually we had been planning on seeing Gravity but there was a website mixup and change of times for the release of Hunger Games. I REALLY liked the homage at the end, the way in which the turkeys respected the dead. I teared up a little bit because it was really a tasteful and touching image/idea. 
__________________________________

Nebraska (2013)

Director:

Writer:

Stars:
, , | » 

Payne is a local hero because he's from Omaha and has made quite the name for himself in Hollywood. Besides that, I do honestly enjoy his films. This is one of the first that he didn't write (although he did re-write Nelson's script to give it the Payne touch). And it hit the nail on the head. The characters were well-rounded and relatable and very rural Nebraska. It was a really nice film and June Squibb is kind of my hero. She actually reminds me of my mother, except my mom isn't as mean outright. It was a really good flick and Dern was great too. Oh, and I can't believe that the guys who played brothers (the no-good cousins) aren't related. Someone clear that up for me! They look so similar!!!!
 ________________________________

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

Director:

Stars:
, , | »

I am a Trekkie by association. Dad, friends, so I know what's up... more or less. I had seen the one released a few years ago. This was more of the same goodness. I like the characters and the comedy/wit. Easy to get into for story and action. Yes and yes. :)

 _________________________________

Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

Director:

Writers:
(screenplay), (screenplay), 7 more credits »
Stars:
, , | » 

Not as stupid as I was told it was. I honestly liked it. It was a cool concept and played out pretty well. I was kind of surprised there were so many screenwriters involved, but I guess it had a lot of room for error. I wonder what other deviations there were in other revisions, now that I think about it. Anyway, there were some nice characters and you could see their changes. It was a great idea (graphic novel-based) to combine the two genres and give us something new. 
_________________________________

Comic Book Villains (2002)

Director:

Writer:

Stars:
, , |  

Pretty fun movie that shows how greed corrupts.  Fun faces you'll recognize. If you like comics, collecting, or seeing inept people try to outsmart each other and destroy lives... this is a flick to see. 

 

No comments: