Saturday, February 21, 2015

Review: Birdman (2014)

Birdman (2014)

A washed up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of a Broadway play.

Director:
(as Alejandro G. Iñárritu)
Writers:
Stars:
, , | » 

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJfLoE6hanc 

Recent addition to S.O.'s collection, watched with him.

It had funny parts, good actors. There was an interesting mix of commentary on different things, like theater life, celebrity, labels, etc. Had a very Spanish feel to me, which makes sense, considering the director is from Mexico. The magic realism was what gave it away. It still worked though, unlike Blueberry Nights, the Wong Kar Wai English film that didn't translate to America, which is sad b/c I generally love WKW films. :( It was interesting to have such long takes, gave us something extra to watch for. (IMDB said there were only 16 and that originally the director wanted zero.) The unreality made it a little hard to keep up. And that gun made me nervous the whole time. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Birdman concept was written to make a joke about Keaton as Batman. I thought it was a fun nod. I'm not in love with it, I didn't hate it. There were some great lines in it. Worth a watch. The drum thing was a bit annoying at times. That's about all I got. 

No comments: