Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Collector (1965)

Last night's movie, courtesy of my friend Collin:
The Collector (1965) by William Wyler

The movie did not feautre any out-of-the-ordinary camerawork, but the underlying soundtrack was key in portraying the mood of the film. As Collin put it, the film would be nothing without the music. The movie was a UK production that featured the "I'll-kidnap-you-until-you-fall-in-love-with-me" theme (something I recently saw in a more upbeat telling: ¡Átame!(1990) by Pedro Almodóvar). Slightly frustrating to me were the several overlooked opportunities for the heroine's escape. Obviously, there would have been no movie if she would have escaped in the first five minutes of her capture. After the introduction of the neighbor, I kept hoping he would come back to rescue her, but unfortunately for her....that never happened. The movie gives off a general uneasy feeling as well it should. Yay for psychos.... perhaps we can all learn how to escape from them by watching movies like this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you want to see something in the same "I'll-kidnap-you-until-you-fall-in-love-with-me" vein, check out "Buffalo 66." It's got Christina Ricci, and is quite possibly one of the crappiest movies I've seen. It falls into the "love-it-or-hate-it" category. Kelly's sister loved it.