Friday, September 08, 2006

The Mambo Kings (1992)

Greetings, all! As I continue on my still-new venture into the world of cinema, I have discovered that my week is comprised of many movies, whether on the screen or in my head. I've decided to take this journey with whomever is willing, and so.... it shall be done. Here is where you will come to keep up with my movie-watching-ness..... very professional, I know. I will try my best to provide a catalog of the movies I am watching from here on out.....

Tonight's movie: The Mambo Kings dir. by Arne Glimcher

I watched this movie to examine Cathy Moriarty, the topic of my research paper for one of my classes (The class is about short shelf-life actresses).

The movie had the typical twists and turns of a story of its class. And by this, I refer to every story that presents the troubles that befall two brothers looking to make it big in the music world, love entanglements included. The soundtrack is delightful, if you like Cuban music. The celebrity cameos are also a kick, if you know anything about Latin music at all. Tito Puente, Celia Cruz and Dezi Arnaz Jr. playing the role of his father. The montage scenes were slightly entertaining. I wasn't quite sure if they were meant to be cheesy, but one could definitely sense the use of green screen for the sequence.

With a tried and true storyline and redeeming music, this film is so-so. But don't take my word for it. (Cue Reading Rainbow)

In the future, I will try to actually have posts that are more worthy of my "film studies student" status. Someday, you'll see my name in lights. Get my autograph while you can.

Peace.

No comments: