Monday, July 16, 2012

"It's Kind of a Funny Story" (2010); "Mrs. Winterbourne" (1996); "Sabrina" (1995); "The Five-Year Engagement (2012); "The Colors of the Mountain/Los Colores de la Montaña" (2010); "L.A. Story" (1991); "Mother" (2009)

It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)

Directors:
Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
Writers:
Ryan Fleck (screenplay), Anna Boden (screenplay), and 1 more credit »
Stars:
Keir Gilchrist, Zach Galifianakis and Emma Roberts

I heard from a friend that psych wards are not like their portrayal in this movie and that doesn't surprise me. A lot of liberties are often taken when trying to tell a story. Sometimes it's believable, other times not. This movie was cute enough. The storyline was predictable to a degree with the love interest stuff. The characters were likeable and the situations were fun. I think it's worth a watch if you like life to be a bit odd, and I do ;)

_______________________

Mrs. Winterbourne (1996)

Director:
Richard Benjamin
Writers:
Cornell Woolrich (novel), Phoef Sutton (screenplay), and 1 more credit »
I'd like to thank whatever station put this on for giving me such a treasure. Haha. I caught the show mid-way through, but they played it again after the next movie... which I also watched and will next review. The movie is kind of hokey when watched present day. Or maybe, it was back then too. The pairing of the stars was ... interesting, maybe knowing now what we know of Ricki Lake not really having much of an acting career. If you want to watch something goofy, this would be your movie. I would like to point out that the baby in this movie apparently requires very little work and doesn't keep his mother up at all hours of the night. How unrealistic, right? I realized later that I missed a few scenes of the movie while flipping channels, but I saw enough of it.

_________________________

Sabrina (1995)

Director:
Sydney Pollack
Writers:
Samuel A. Taylor (play), Billy Wilder (earlier screenplay), and 4 more credits »

Shame on me for not having had seen this earlier OR the Billy Wilder version from 1954. The movie followed the previous movie on tv, so of course I had to watch it. ;) It was an odd movie only for the age of the male leads. Or maybe they just seem so much older now in my head? I had a chuckle at the premise that "I found myself in Paris". It reminds me of when I tell people I went to India and they asked if I had a spiritual awakening. HA! But that's what happens when a city or country has an image to uphold. Because every woman that experiences Paris must be worldly and demure, non? The movie was very stylish though, but the styles don't always hold up, as in some movies, so it was a bit dated. Harrison Ford was a bit dry. I understand that's his character and some people really are that boring, but it would have been nice to have a bit more to go from. I guess mainly I was concerned about the age difference of the characters/actors. But c'est la vie, non? 

____________________

The Five-Year Engagement (2012)

Director:
Nicholas Stoller
Writers:
Jason Segel (screenplay), Nicholas Stoller (screenplay)
Stars:
Jason Segel, Emily Blunt and Chris Pratt

I really enjoyed it. It was 2 hours long, which made it feel like we really did suffer through five years, but I suppose that helps to drive the point home. It definitely was not your average romantic comedy and I happen to adore Emily Blunt. I was a bit critical of Alison Brie's accent, only because I'm too aware of my accent when I attempt it. I'm not saying it was a bad accents, I'm just saying I was hyper-aware that she was doing an accent. Anywho, I found this movie long but enjoyable because it was a fresh set of characters and events. I liked seeing what happens when things don't go according to plan. 

________________________

The Colors of the Mountain (2010) Los colores de la montaña (original title)


This is another movie that should challenge the United States citizens who are resistant to immigrants to learn what situations some of them are trying to escape. Life isn't always as easy as 'learn my language and be legal and stop taking our jobs'. This movie was gut-wrenching at times and was an eye-opener to how easy life can be and how we take it for granted. I liked the characters but was a little confused as to the politics of the movie, as in what groups were what, for example. Since the U.S. doesn't deal much with guerilla warfare, it's a little harder to relate, even knowing what I know about Latin America. But I suppose that makes sense because the p.o.v. is primarily from the child, who would not be aware. The film is an award winner and very much worth a watch. 



_____________________________

L.A. Story (1991)

Director:
Mick Jackson
Writer:
Steve Martin
Stars:
Steve Martin, Victoria Tennant and Richard E. Grant

I had to watch this movie to counteract the depressing nature of the previous movie. Steve Martin is always good for a laugh. The movie was goofy and a bit surreal, as he was taking advice from a street sign. But I loved seeing him poke fun at L.A., even though or maybe because I've never been there, but have heard stories. I mean, there's a reason they call it La-la land, right? Or is that just something we say around my house? Anyway, it's a cheeky story and doesn't take itself too seriously, so be sure you don't either. Sarah Jessica Parker's character was a tad annoying with all the twirling she did. Anyway, if you're looking for something screwy, I guess this could work. P.S. There are a couple things in the trailer I don't remember in the movie.

 ________________________

Mother (2009)

Director:
Joon-ho Bong
Writers:
Joon-ho Bong (story), Eun-kyo Park (screenplay), and 1 more credit »
Stars:
Hye-ja Kim, Bin Won and Ku Jin | See full cast and crew

I loved/own the director's other movie The Host (2006) so knew I had to give this one a try. It's completely different but still very well done. It is a frightening realization at how far a mother will go to protect her child. I highly recommend this movie. I'm not sure what else to say, except that it makes you constantly question where your sympathies should lie. It's humorous at times and intriguing and pretty captivating. Do yourself a favor and watch this and The Host. Awesome movies!




No comments: