Thursday, July 05, 2012

"What's Your Number?" (2011); "Bridesmaids" (2011); "We Bought a Zoo" (2011); "The Sitter" (2011); "Midnight in Paris" (2011); "Mars Attacks!" (1996); "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" (2010); "The Skin I Live In" (2011)

What's Your Number? (2011)

Director:
Mark Mylod
Writers:
Gabrielle Allan (screenplay), Jennifer Crittenden (screenplay), and 1 more credit »
Stars:
Anna Faris, Chris Evans and Ari Graynor | See full cast and crew

This movie was cute. As one of my friends mentioned, they really like Anna Faris, maybe not despite her unflattering roles, but because of them. The characters she plays are not always cutesy but more nitty-gritty, real woman type characters. This story was fun because it showed a woman who slept around like a man, which goes against society's double standard. Sure, she was following an obscure note from a magazine and could have eschewed that altogether and owned up to her sexuality, but for the means of providing us with a cute, albeit formulaic, but still fun plot, I guess it works. The concept was fun and I had a good time with this movie. Of course it was more or less predictable, but it did tackle society/men's perception of a woman who sleeps around as much as a man. I found the topic refreshing and realistic.
_________________________________

Bridesmaids (2011)

Director:
Paul Feig

This movie was definitely not what I expected, which is probably a good thing because it had more plot and character depth than I expected from the trailers and hype. I thought it was simply going to be loud and obnoxious potty humor, and it had plenty of that, but it was also a pretty decent story. I love that there was such a strong female cast because women in the cinema is such a big issue for me. I'm probably one of the few people that took this long to see the movie. I look forward to watching it again.

_________________________________

We Bought a Zoo (2011)

Director:
Cameron Crowe
Writers:
Aline Brosh McKenna (screenplay), Cameron Crowe (screenplay), and 1 more credit »

This is another movie that wasn't exactly what I expected and that wasn't necessarily the best thing. The movie was okay, but it was more people driven than animal driven. As a family member said, their nature-loving son was sad because it was a dead-mommy movie and there weren't as many animals as he expected. It seems there was a formula of showing every animal in a three second shot and featuring a tiger or something as part of the storyline. That seemed to be it. The little girl was adorable.I think the zoo would be a fun place to live for sure, but the movie left me wanting more animals and less people. 

_____________________________

The Sitter (2011)


I had secretly wanted to see this movie since I saw the trailer. I like stupid flicks. This was the right one. It was very much like  A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas in that children got taken on a wild ride involving drugs and such. It was a fun enough brain-free movie. There wasn't tons in the way of character development, but yeah, the character kind of underwent some change in his relationship with the kids. 

_______________________________

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Director:
Woody Allen
Writer:
Woody Allen
Stars:
Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams and Kathy Bates | See full cast and crew

As a friend said, Owen Wilson played a better Woody Allen than Woody Allen does. Wilson played a very whiny guy, reminiscent of Allen's characters in all his movies, but it was less jarring coming from someone who looks like Owen. That might be unfair to say, but it's true. I liked the concept of the movie quite a lot, but at the turn of the movie at the end, it was very on the nose. By that I mean, they beat you over the head with the message of the movie. Otherwise, it was cinematic-ally very beautiful and a great concept that I wouldn't have minded being a part of were that possible in real life. Although it didn't touch on the effects of time travel. But I think it was meant to be more musing than scientific.

____________________________

Mars Attacks! (1996)


Director:
Tim Burton
Writers:
Len Brown (trading card series), Woody Gelman (trading card series), and 5 more credits »
Stars:
Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan and Sarah Jessica Parker | See full cast and crew

Whew, I broke my 2011 streak! The previous 5 movies I just listed were all from 2011. Now, this film I've seen before but it was sooooo long ago that it was such a surprise for me to watch it again! The cast is star-studeed to say the least and it's definitely Tim Burton. This movie is campy and fun and should definitely be re-watched if it's been a while for you too. Don't miss out on some great laughs with some old friends. Ak! Ak ak ak!

__________________________

All My Friends Are Funeral Singers (2010)

Director:
Tim Rutili
Writer:
Tim Rutili

This film was very interesting. It was definitely highly linked to music and the portrayal of the spirit world was very interesting. You can check out the film's website here as there is little information to be found on the imdb page. I liked the film, the concept and was left wanting more. 

__________________________________

The Skin I Live In/La Piel Que Habito (2011)

Director:
Pedro Almodóvar
Writers:
Pedro Almodóvar (screenplay), Agustín Almodóvar (collaboration), and 1 more credit »
Stars:
Antonio Banderas, Elena Anaya and Jan Cornet | See full cast and crew

For any of you who follow Almodóvar's films, this is completely in line with his norm. It's creepy and hauntingly captivating in a style that only Almodóvar can do. You're never sure who you should be supporting or why and as the truth unfolds, you question everyone until the last moment. Chilling movie. Be warned, the trailer does the film little justice at all!!


No comments: