Friday, January 23, 2015

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

When Hiccup and Toothless discover an ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace.

Director:
Writers:
, ("How to Train Your Dragon" book series)
Stars:
, , | » 

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9a4PvzlqoQ 

Recent addition to personal collection; watched sola.  

I'd really liked the first one and the sequel held up. There were lots of cool new dragons and a good story about how both boy and dragon found inner strength and came into their own. I really liked all the cool gear that Hiccup had and wish I was that clever or inventive! The film get me very involved. My eyes were glued to the screen like a little kid on the edge of my seat. (SPOILER: For a little bit, I thought his girlfriend was going to become chief. END SPOILER) A couple of the runners/jokes were a little gimmicky, like the different attractions the guys/girls had, but the nice thing was they were carried through in a fun way. It was its own developing story, not just necessarily a gag. And the relationship between Hiccup and Astrid was nice because it didn't take the forefront of the story, nor was it distracting. AND she was a very strong woman who could hold her own, had her own opinion, and wasn't google-eyed over her boyfriend. Roughnut did that (see gag/gimmick comment above). I will say, (since I have subtitles playing and could see the characters names), I'm pretty surprised that the twins were named Roughnut and Toughnut and rode a two-headed dragon. Genitalia reference, anyone?! Anyway, I really like this series. Have yet to read the book series, but the movies stand alone. There are so many creative dragons, that a lot of thought went into it. As a kid who was convinced I had a small, friendly dragon under my bed that just needed coaxing out, I really enjoyed the dragon movies for sure. And as a horse rider, I'd love to be a dragon rider too. The creators did a great job of creating a world in which dragons communicate and exist. The nuances made it very believable. I really enjoyed the intricacies involved in bringing this story to life. Very much recommend this and the prequel to both children and adults. :)

No comments: