Saturday, January 31, 2015

White Bird in a Blizzard (2014)

White Bird in a Blizzard (2014)

In 1988, a teenage girl's life is thrown into chaos when her mother disappears.

Director:
Writers:
(screenplay), (based on the novel by)
Stars:

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1W_aH72-g

Recently acquired by my S.O.; watched with him.

It didn't blow me away. The acting was pretty good, although I didn't feel like was really into the role. It felt like an actor acting.... and not convincingly. I love her, but it felt a bit off for me. Maybe I was just being hypercritical. And I don't think Eva Green is allowed to do a non-evil role! Not with that sultry voice! I think the film is worth a watch. Now for the SPOILERS: The film relies on some misdirects to aid the viewer in believing certain things. I kind of figured a little bit, or at least knew there was some things that were hidden that would be revealed. And I really want to know the credibility of the body decomposition information at the end. Seems impossible and like it was done for poetic purposes. Could definitely see how the daughter was emulating the mother and her sexual desires and how it could be a strange source of conflict. I don't think the 'you used to be fat' thing was believable. We were basically told that Shailene's character used to be fat by Sidibe's character, and Eva Green had made a snide comment to the child-actor, but it felt weird and untrue. I also found it odd that the gay character didn't make a comment about Phil (the young boyfriend) being gay since he wasn't fooling around with Shailene's character. That would seem like something he would say, even playfully, and it was my suggestion, but of course, that would open up the field for doubt and make us not fall into the carefully laid trap of misdirection.  This film felt like a love story to emo music of the time period: late 80s and early 90s. Depeche Mode and what not. The main character didn't seem to have too much turmoil in her position. Like she wasn't really worried that her mom was gone. And why do ghosts always try to contact from the grave in a symbolic means? Seems to me like Eve's ghost would have been just as uninterested in her daughter as she was when she was alive. But suddenly, ooo symbolism. If anything, this film is about trusting people too much? Not really sure what the message is supposed to be, if there is even a message. END SPOILERS: It wasn't a bad movie. It had a nice style to it and the set design was appropriate for the time period. Good soundtrack. Good acting. Nice costuming choices. Hair and makeup too was good. Worth a watch I suppose. Watched trailer and here are my responses: Eva Green gives great 'crazy'. Angela Bassett was underused. The last line of the trailer wasn't in the original movie.  

No comments: